Monday, December 3, 2012

I'll take time to work inside of the city.

I finally made it to Moscow and my new area. I left Monday afternoon and didn't get to my area until Thursday night, due to some crazy and unexpected logistical problems. Also I was separated from my suitcases. Wearing the same clothes for four days is great. But in the end I made it to Sokolniki.

My new companion is Elder Steele. He is a nice Canadian kid from Calgary, Alberta. He is relatively young on the mission (although nowadays most people are relatively young to me) and came out with my greenie Elder Merrill.

Moscow is crazy. The wards here are big, with anywhere between 70-100 members coming to church per ward. I met the stake president and the bishop of the ward, and it was so cool to see all the organization already in place. It was a little bit overwhelming for me to see so many members in one building, but I really liked it. I just keep feeling like I've come back from some adventure in the far corners of the Earth when I tell people about the small branches I served in. Although it is a big adjustment, I still like it a lot, mostly because it is something different. I have been serving in the little branches since January, and now being in Moscow has forced me to adapt to a totally different situation.

What is really crazy about Moscow is being in a big city once again. There are really so many people here. Fortunately, I have always felt like a big city sort of person, so I can feel my inner Moscovite developing. For this past week I have been marveling at the sheer scale and immensity of this city. It honestly seems to stretch on forever. I have travelled the length of Ryazan three times over in the past week and have yet to see the end of Moscow.

I have really began to have an appreciation for the call as a missionary. We cross paths with so many people every day that it seems impossible to teach them all the gospel. I like to look at people on the Metro or on the big escalators leading to the surface of the city from and the underground and imagine how many of them would accept the gospel if they had the chance. It has strengthened my resolve to talk to as many people as I can, especially because we have only four missionaries covering one quarter of Moscow!

I haven't really met a whole lot of investigators, or I have and I just didn't know. I'm still trying to figure things out in the area. But, I just thought I'd share with you my initial reaction to Moscow. It certainly has been outstanding.

Well everybody, live long and prosper!

-Elder Zachery E. Brasier

No comments:

Post a Comment