Monday, October 22, 2012

Jackknifed a Juggernaut

Dear family and loyal blog readers,
 
Everybody is waiting for the snow here. It should be coming soon. I am getting my jackets out and finally got my boots repaired ( So that I don't get a case if trench foot again). I am more than prepared and ready for the winter.
 
The most exciting thing that happened this week was the baptism of Angela. Here in the outer cities of the mission we don't have a baptismal font so we really only have two options: baptism in the river or baptism in a sauna. Angela preferred the sauna so the sister missionaries searched and eventually found one in our price range. It must have been interesting to the owner of the Egyptian themed sauna for two sister missionaries to rent a sauna room for two hours and then have an eccentric group of Russians and Americans dressed in suits and ties, singing hymns about Jesus Christ and talking about baptism show up to use the sauna room. Really this shows me that the place of the baptism really isn't important as long as we can invite the spirit into the building. Any place can become a holy place with testimony, music and the right Spirit.
 
In itself the baptism was interesting. Nobody decided to check on the depth of the small "pool" in which we would be doing the baptism. I got in first to help Angela in. I climb down the ladder and expect to be at the bottom if the small pool, so I let go of the ladder and was suddenly up to my neck in water! The whole pool was nearly six feet deep! I was almost immersed in it! Angela is 5'2"! After thinking a little bit we just decided to have her hang onto the latter and essentially just let go and let herself fall until she was immersed completely and then I would just lift her out. Poor Angela was rather flustered, especially after the first attempt failed. On the second time we got her all the way under the water, and even though she came up sputtering it was still a great and spiritual experience. I really am amazed by Angela and her testimony. She is a orphan and really has nothing in life, however she accepted the gospel right off the bat. It really goes to show you that the gospel is for the humble and meek of the earth. I have taught so many Biblical scholars and engineers and professors who let all of their knowledge and so called sophistication get in the way of their conversion, but this young orphan girl was able to accept the gospel of Jesus Christ with all her heart and mind because she was humble enough to accept it. I wish that I could be that humble in my life.
 
Otherwise this has been a pretty normal week. We watched conference in church ( this time in Russian) and a few of our investigators who have never come to church before decided to come. Also Elder Turner and his companion came down for the baptism so I really enjoyed catching up with him, especially since he is going home in a month or two.
 
As always I want you to know that I love this work and this church. I am so grateful to be able to represent The Lord here in Russia and to preach and defend his gospel. I love these people even if they drive me crazy sometimes, but mostly I am glad to have the experience and opportunity to serve and help them.
 
As always
Elder Zachery E Brasier
 
Ps- Vitaliy now says that I am Angela's godfather because I sponsored her baptism. I hope I can fulfill my god fatherly responsibilities haha time we got her all the way

No comments:

Post a Comment