Since the return of our friendly revenants, things have been well here in Ryazan. For the most part, missionary work has turned towards the business as usual sort of things, so I don't have a whole lot that I would like to report at this time, but I'll try to figure something out in order to entertain you with various mission adventures.
Considering all things, Friday was a pretty interesting day. We had a joint zone conference with my native South Zone and the East Zone, the zone of my good friend Elder Olsen, including the well treasured city of Nizhniy Novgorod. Also, Elder Eliason from Tula came so it was really fun to see all of my good friends once again. Conference was so so good. I actually am going to consider it as a big turning point of my mission, because I had a really great spiritual experience during the trainings and on my way home. I really was able to understand somethings that I need to be better in my mission and how to dedicate myself more to the mission. I really love conferences and I love the opportunity to re-assess what I am doing in the mission and how to work better to help people come closer to God and Jesus Christ. It is also very fun to see all of my good friends and have entertaining leadership trainings. In and unfortunate turn of events, I found out that I am officially on the mission "Kill Board" the white board that President Sorenson has to track when people are leaving! But lets not think about those sorts of things shall we?
Today, we had a very interesting experience. Recently, the Storm's ( a senior couple in our mission) have been working with some groups in Ryazan to do humanitarian work. One of their biggest projects was the purchasing of a Braille printer for a blind library here in Ryazan. This printer is a big step forward because it allows the library to print documents and pictures using Braille printing. In order to celebrate this event, the library has decided to throw a little party for us, which involved lots of food and lots of signing of Russian folk songs. It was a way fun, especially because some of the people had decided to drink a little champagne, which loosens up the Russian people. Thus, we spent at least 45 minutes singing folk songs and watching this Kazakh theatre actor acting out the story of the song and I got to tell all the people many interesting facts about Las Vegas. Wow, I really had a lot of fun, and we got to talk a lot about our church and our beliefs. They were blown away when we told them that we don't drink black or green tea, alcohol, smoke or take drugs. Everybody gasped and then started congratulating us on such a life. I want to tell them that they could have it too, but the moment wasn't really correct....
Otherwise, our investigators are doing quite well. We are meeting a lot with our investigators and are trying to move them closer and closer to baptism. I've realized that on my mission I'm really good at finding and starting to teach investigators, but I'm not nearly as talented at closing the deal. So we're trying to move a few of our investigators closer to membership in the church. This is actually quite the novel experience for me, but I've really enjoyed having so many investigators doing progress and finding their way to the church. This is a very different situation than Smolensk with Elder Jewkes, opening up a new area, no investigators, contacting everyday in -25 degree C weather... Yeah, it's a little better than that.
Elder Ottly and I have been teaming up in order to help the branch get back on logistical course. This week we had the highest number of people at sacrament meeting which we've had for awhile (24 people! That's a good improvement!). Now that that is moving up, we are trying to help the branch organize so that they can effective fulfill the three-fold mission of the church. It has really taxed my translating skills, especially in Branch Council which sometimes dissolves into a rigmarole.... one that is especially difficult to translate. But I've really enjoyed learning all about church organization and how to effectively run the branch.
Well like I said, I don't have a whole lot to write, so I apologize, because I know that some people like reading these sorts of things. But at any rate, have a good week!
As Always,
Elder Zachery E. Brasier
Hi Zach, I love reading your letters it just sounds like you are doing so great !! I thought the "kill board" was pretty funny, I have never heard of that. We got Kaeley all off and she is now in California hard at work, I have not heard from her yet, she just flew out last Wednesday, It was so good to hear from her at the airport before she left, she said she loved the MTC and misses the spirit there but will NOT miss the food :) and will be happy to get out on her own and cook for herself. She was a little shell shocked to get off the bus at the airport after being so sheltered in the MTC and said WOW there are a bunch of wierdos here at the airport :) I didnt have the heart to tell here she was heading to the wierdo capital of the world in California, especially near L.A. !!! Guess she will find that out soon enough :) She was excited and nervous to meet her new mission president and his wife and her new companion. Her mission Pres is new and has only been out there for a month. I have to tell you this, I got a phone call from a lady after church yesterday and she said I am calling you to tell you that your daughter is safe and sound here and that she will be taken good care of by the people here in our ward. I was kind of surprised to get that call. This sweet elderly SIster had met Kaeley that day in church and had asked her how long she had been out and when Kaeley said only 4 days she wanted to know if "your mother knows where you are?" I thought that was pretty funny. KAeley told her no I have not had a p-day yet to write home, so the lady told her to give her our phone number and she was going to call us and tell us where she was so we were not worried and that she was legal to call and Kaeley was not !!! that was pretty funny too !! I was just so touched that she had thought to do such a service and it did mean so much to me that she called to tell me where she was and that she was happy and doing fine ! Such good people everywhere we go in the world huh ? We are all fine here just tyring to keep up with the garden and yard work and back to work driving the bus. Summer was pretty short this year! Grandpa is doing so well, it is good to see him getting around so well, he gets stronger each day and it gets a little easier to get around each day. He is happy right now not being too mobile, he says its a good excuse to sit and watch football all fall !! Dont know if you know that Wes and ALyssa and the kdis are taking off in about a month to go live in the country of Turkey for about 6 months, he will be building a big dome there. That will be a fun adventure for them all. Everett is cute, he tells everybody they are going to fly on a plane to "chicken" :) hahahaha. I better run, time to get out the door on the bus and pick up kids, take care and keep working hard !! Love, Aunt JoAnne
ReplyDelete