As inferred by the title of my e-mail, this week has been characterized by sicknesses in Smolensk. Not specifically my sickness, for I have escaped unharmed for now (I chalk that up to the exceptional work of my T Cell and B Cell lymphocytes, but I still am knocking on wood so that I don't pick up anything in the future). Elder Jewkes has been down and out for almost a week and a half now and Elder Mitchell is starting to become symptomatic. One of our ward members thinks that we have problems with our blood circulation and pressure, but as far as I can tell we are all doing alright (although mine was a little low last night.) At any rate that is just a passing thing and everybody is getting back to our normal healthy selves.
This week I was able to go to Moscow for a zone conference, and much to my surprise it ended up being a nearly whole mission conference, so I got to see my good friends Elder Olsen, Elder Bressler and Sister Hansen once again! It is always so fun to go to conferences and see all your friends and exchange crazy stories and such. I am always so happy to see that everybody is doing good and continuing to carry out their missionary work in their respective cities. We arrived quite early into Moscow Wednesday morning and thus the Yaroslavl Elders and us went to tour Red Square. I was kicking myself that I forgot my camera, because right now Red Square looks a lot more stereotypical then when I first saw it (you know: with snow and wind and coldness like it shows in nearly every American movie). But alas, my camera was sitting uselessly at my apartment in Smolensk. After a good motivating conference and some nice home cook food, our district went and toured Arbat Street, which is one of the tourist trap souvenir centers in Moscow. As missionaries we have an advantage over other tourists in that we can speak Russian fairly well, so we can barter for our souvenirs. In many of the stores I was just watching people get ripped off! We found a pretty sweet military surplus store where I picked up some propaganda posters and a sweet USSR t-shirt, and while we were there some Germans were getting played with some fake "Soviet" military hats! People really need to check the serial numbers and materials when they are buying military surplus! At any rate, after some successful bartering and exciting purchases we returned home to Smolensk on a night train.
And as for our missionary work... Well things aren't going too badly right now. This week was a little messed up with some logistics involving a young orphan child, infectious diseases and the Moscow conference, but we were able to get some things done. We had a lesson with a man who was more or less crazy. I won't spell it out for you because it would take too long, but he started out his arguing with the phrase: "God is an orange!" then continued to tell us that everybody in the world is Buddah and with committing us to look at our hands every night for ten minutes and repeat the phrase: "I exist." Yes, he won't be a long term investigator. However, we did find some good people on the street and two of our contacts have told us that they are reading the Book of Mormon, they just haven't had time to meet quite yet. Also, we had some very spiritual lessons with members about the Plan of Salvation and how God provided a plan for us. I love teaching the Plan of Salvation to people because it strengthens my testimony and makes me grateful for the ability that we have to learn the fullness of God's plan for us and find comfort and hope in that. I can't imagine how hard it would be to have no conception of this doctrine and just live thinking that life is purposeless. I'm grateful that I know that my life has a purpose and most importantly that even after I die I can live with the people I love, even after years of separation by death. This gives me so much hope and joy in the future!
At any rate, this week is what can be called a slow week. However, slow weeks always motivate me to work harder next week (as if it will make some sort of compensation in my missionary work balance.) We've got some good potential investigators and I'm excited to start working with some new people.
Lately I haven't mentioned much about Vladimir because he is not in my area anymore so we aren't teaching him. He is doing good though. His work is insane right now, he is working the jobs of three doctors! He is getting payed more but the man has to be exhausted. Unfortunately this has also caused a delay with his marriage documents! But we call him frequently and talk to him and he is doing good. He always says something like: "My brothers, I pray almost constantly because with out Heavenly Father I can do nothing!" or "I read some bad things people said about Joseph Smith on the Internet, but I don't believe them! I only trust you my brothers, because you are looking out for me!" A few days ago he got a hold of President Monson's talk from last Priesthood Session. He especially liked the part where President Monson said, "Dare to be a Mormon; Dare to stand alone. Dare to have a purpose firm; dare to make it known." Vladimir loved that quote and told us that he would never betray us, because he dares to be a Mormon (he said this while referencing some members who have removed their names from the church recently). I love Vladimir, his faith and diligence is so inspirational to me, and he hasn't even been baptized yet!
Well that's all I've got for now. General Conference is coming up soon and I am getting way pumped. Conference is so exciting for missionaries. We love the chance to hear new talks and get new guidance from our living Prophet and Apostles. I've been getting pumped up by reading all the talks from last Conference, so I'm ready for a new one!
At any rate, live long and prosper!
Never tell me the odds,
Elder Zachery Brasier
PS- None of us actually have Myxomatosis so don't worry, because none of us are rabbits, thus making it impossible to catch that disease.
PPS- Since I'm a missionary I would like to start sharing some scriptures I like with you. This week I was really struck by Isaiah 52:7 How beautiful upon the mountains are the feet of him that bringeth good tidings, that publisheth peace; that bringeth good tidings of good, that publisheth salvation; that saith unto Zion, Thy God reigneth! I like that promise and love to apply it to missionary service.
No comments:
Post a Comment