After my first full week in Smolensk, I am starting to get into the swing of things. Right now the biggest challenge is finding my way around the city, since both Elder Jewkes and I are new here. When I left Nizhny I knew it like the back of my foot, so now I am trying to become as familiar with Smolensk.
Winter is now in full swing here in Russia. Currently the temperatures are around -20 and it snowed all day yesterday. Yes this is quite cold, cold enough in fact that the bottom of my pant legs were frozen with ice last night. Never fear though, I have been keeping quite warm. The key to life in Russia is layers of clothing! I weighed myself the other day and I realized that with all my winter clothes I way about 10 kilograms heavier than with normal clothes on. The Russians also have been getting more and more intense about the weather. As I mentioned before, they take the winter very seriously. Last Monday we played basketball with one of our investigators Dima, so Elder Jewkes and Elder Melling decided to walk to the basketball gym in athletic shorts in -25 degree weather (I, however, was not that stupid, I made sure to keep warm.) Dima was not very happy, and ranted to be about how stupid my companions were and how they will die in the Russian weather. I think that the winter can be summed up best by one of Dima's lines: "If you don't take care of yourself in Russia, you will die. The Russian winter is completely unforgiving. Ominous? Yes, I think so.
We have started really hitting the work here. Elder Jewkes and I have been going and hitting the doors in the Russian apartment complexes, and actually got let into to somebodies house on Friday (this is extremely rare, it almost never happens.) The man was nice, but I am pretty sure he just wanted somebody to drink with. Initial conversation went something like this.
The Man: "Do you want some Vodka?"
Me: "Sorry we don't drink, maybe some juice?"
(Man walks to the refrigerator and grabs some juice... and vodka)
The Man: "So you want some Vodka yes?"
Jewkes: "No, we don't drink vodka."
(The man pours himself some vodka and then asks)
The Man: "Would you like me to fill your glass with some Vodka?"
Me: "Really we don't drink, we are here as missionaries."
The Man: [Various inappropriate conversational topics.]
Jewkes: "Ok I think we need to leave, are you interested in reading the Book of Mormon?"
The Man: "No, but I want to know if you will drink some Vodka with me."
We left, but it was quite humorous. This was only the second time I was let into somebodies apartment and it was quite an interesting experience. He was a super nice guy though, very friendly. (And this is one thing that should be noted about Russians. Russians seem very grumpy on the outside, but they are really extremely friendly people. When a Russian decides to be your friend, he will be absolutely committed to that and will talk to you for hours and his life story and offer you the shirt of his back so to speak. In this way, Russians are like coconuts, hard on the outside but soft on the inside.) At any rate, we have been finding some great new people to teach and are excited to really get this area going. Our best investigator Vladimir is still coming to church and is getting ready to marry his wife before he gets baptized. Vladimir is such a good guy because he is a logical man who leaves the light on for reason and also a religious man, who trusts in God. When he found out that I enjoy medicine he filled me in on his theories involving God and the parasympathetic nervous system. I am always amazed at his extensive English vocabulary when he talks about things like that. After the church meeting he told me about how during the meeting he suddenly had an idea about using a certain combination of drugs for a patient that he was really confused about. He told me all about how he loves receiving answers like that in church: "Elder Brasier, you see? I always get the answers to my prayers! You see?" Yes Vladimir, I do see.
On the forecast for future events: This coming Wednesday we have a Russian-Belarus mission conference in Moscow, which means lots of pizza and also some stimulating conversation with my good friend Elder Olsen! Also, one of the Church area authorities will be there so that should be interesting to hear from him. Then, on Saturday we have a branch Valentine's party, and the branch from Vitepsk, Belarus will be joining us along with the Elders from Minsk, Belarus. It should be fun to work with them.
Well I'll keep you posted about anything exciting that happens in the near future. Also, in a bit of bad news, it will be quite tough to send pictures while I am in Smolensk, since the Internet club we use won't recognize our SD cards. I'll try to figure out a way to send some of my pictures though.
From Russia with Love,
Elder Zachery Brasier
sounds like you are enjoying your new area. Glad to hear you are doing well and smartly keeping warm !! take care and keep working hard and dressing warm :) Aunt JoAnne
ReplyDelete