Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Why Medical Experimentation And Practice Is Not Fun For The Patient!

Dear Family and Loyal Blog Readers,
Well my days in the USA are finally numbered. Yesterday we received our full Cyrillic tags with my last name in Cyrillic letters and we might very well be getting our travel plans tomorrow or some other time in the coming week. I'll let you know as soon as my travel plans come in where I am going and which airports I am flying through. I'm hoping for JFK in New York and Charles de Gualle in Paris, France. But we'll see.

So I had an ingrown toenail removed on Monday. It was fun, except that it really wasn't that fun. Here is the story. I go in and the doctor looks at my toe, and then after he decided not to remove the whole toenail, he decided to just cut off half of it, which I was fine with. But then the injection came. In order to numb my toe they had to quickly but some Novocaine in a nerve in my toe, which would hurt but only briefly because the doctor assured me it would be quick.

Unfortunately I made a mistake here. The doctor told me that he had a medical student doing some sort of internship and asked me if he could practice the injection. I thought "Who am I to stop the medical training of an individual" and gave him permission. I openly admit that this was an error, because the new guy wasn't used to the resistance of the needle and I had a needle stuck in a nerve in my toe for FIVE MINUTES! I was not a happy camper because as you might guess, it was a bit painful. Eventually the doctor got impatient, took the needle and did the rest quickly. I was very grateful for that..... The rest of the surgery was uneventful. But I'm getting all healed up now and I feel pretty good with it.

I went to that on Monday, and Monday was just an off day for everybody. The night before my teacher Brother Porter got in a car accident on his mo-ped. He got hit by a F-350 and was thrown sliding across and intersection. A cop saw the whole thing and thought he was dead, but he wasn't, he just got up and walked over to his mo-ped. He did get a little injured though and has some nasty road burn. Then Monday night Elder Porter went to the bathroom at 3:00 AM but locked himself out of his room. In an unfortunate turn of events his roommates sleep with ear plugs so they couldn't hear him knock. So he just curled up in a ball in the hallway and tried to sleep until the cleaning crew made him get up because they had to clean. So we all had a bit of some off days.

Otherwise, things are going well. We are all getting pretty anxious due to the fact that our departure is quite imminent. I can not tell you how excited I am. I want to meet and teach the Russian people so badly! I was reading the story of an early Mormon missionary named Heber C. Kimball who was so excited to get to England he jumped off the boat onto the dock as soon as he could, nearly broke his ankles I assume, and talked to the first person he saw. I might very well do that (except that I'll be in an airplane, and may not have a parachute but if I could I would). At any rate, I tell you this to tell you that I kind of understand the feeling Heber C. Kimball had. I am absolutely pumped to go and teach the people.

So I've got very little more to write. Next week I will send my last e-mail from the MTC and by extension from America! I feel bad that I don't have more to write to you, but it would just be a rote recitation of trivia that you already know. Also, I am trying to respond to everybod's letters as quick as possible, but even on Preparation Day I have very little time, especially since I have to start organizing my suitcase! Thanks for all the support you give me! You all rock!

Sincerely Wishing These Spanish Speaking Elders next to me Would Stop Being So Loud and Annoying,

Elder Zach Donovich Brasier

P.S.- The day Harry Potter came out was hilarious in the MTC. When we played soccer we were commentating it like it was Quidditch so there was a lot of "KEEP YOUR EYE ON THE QUAFFLE!" "My Firebolt is much faster than your Cleansweep 9" "Watch out Harry, there are dementors on the field!" "(when somebody messed up) Who let Neville Longbottom play Quidditch?!" "Thats a nasty blugger, looks like somebody is going to the Hospital Wing." and since we play Red vs. Yellow, we made it Gryffindor vs. Hufflepuff my favorite quote was "Nobody cares about Hufflepuff! All you've got is Cedric Digory...... and he's dead!" Missionaries are even more nerdy than normal people sometimes!

No comments:

Post a Comment